As laws around Cannabidiol (CBD) continue to progress, more organizations are showing their support. The most recent example is the Arthritis Foundation. The Arthritis Foundation is the largest organization representing the voice and needs of people with arthritis and in a recent announcement, they have given CBD their support, found here. With approximately 54 million adults in the US having been diagnosed with arthritis or some other type of rheumatic disease, many are looking to natural remedies to curb symptoms of pain, stiffness, and decreased movement. In addition to those symptoms, many with arthritis face anxiety and depression.
What is CBD?
CBD, cannabidiol, is one of the many cannabinoids found in the hemp/marijuana plant, Cannabis sativa. CBD products contain high levels of the cannabinoid without the intoxicating effects of its sister, THC (tetrahydrocannabinol). Many have wondered what the difference is in hemp and marijuana and according to a recent law passed in Texas, the difference is the amount of THC. Hemp is classified as having less than 0.3% THC, whereas marijuana has greater than 0.3% THC. Most CBD products found in the market today are derived from hemp and contain less than 0.3% THC if any at all. Cannabis reacts with your endocannabinoid system and more specifically the CB1 and CB2 receptors. CB1 receptors, mostly found in the brain, are associated with cognitive actions related to mood, memory, appetite, and coordination. CB2 receptors can be found in the immune system which associates with pain and inflammation. THC binds to CB1 receptors however CBD impacts receptors in an entirely different way. CBD does not bind to CB2 receptors, however, it entices the body to produce more of its own cannabinoids. This provides a longer-lasting positive effect on pain and inflammation responses.
Benefits of CBD for those with Arthritis:
- Reduced inflammation and associated pain – Research, here, has shown positive results with CBD decreasing messages from the nerves, in the joint, from informing the brain of pain. It has also shown increased tolerance to added weight to the joints allowing individuals to stand more upright with less discomfort. Studies have shown that acute inflammation can be reduced by applying CBD topically to the affected area with ointments or salves. When used as a preventative, CBD was found to be a neuroprotectant, preventing the later development of pain and nerve damage in osteoarthritis joints.
- Reduced Anxiety – Anxiety is exponentially increasing in our culture and research has shown positive results in supplementing with CBD. Symptoms arising from excessive fear and anxiety occur in a number of neuropsychiatric disorders, inducing generalized anxiety disorder, panic disorder, post-traumatic stress disorder, social anxiety disorder, and obsessive-compulsive disorder. Research here conclusively demonstrates CBD’s efficacy in reducing anxiety symptoms relevant to these disorders.
- Improved sleep patterns – It is common knowledge that a good night’s sleep provides a multitude of benefits however its importance is getting more attention lately, mainly because we aren’t getting enough. Without getting too deep into the science of the benefits of quality sleep, your cells (mitochondria) regenerate and repair during sleep so the benefits are foundational to good health. Research, here, showed that 66.7% of patients studied had sleep scores improve with the introduction of CBD.
Is CBD safe?
- Safety is a common topic for those considering the use of CBD products, and for good reason! According to top health experts and agencies, the answer is yes, it is safe. The World Health Organization in 2017 reported that they found no public health risk or potential for abuse using CBD products.
- MedlinePlus reports on interactions with medications here:
Since each person’s physiology is different, we recommend starting with a low dose and increase until the desired effects are realized. This prevents taking more than you need and wasting your money. CBDTakeOut provides COA (certificate of authenticity) from independent laboratories for all products listed so rest that you are getting what is advertised. We are committed to quality and want to serve you for many years to come.
CBDTakeOut closely monitors developments within the cannabis industry and is excited about this latest announcement from the Arthritis Foundation. Have questions? Ask Ceebs at www.CBDTakeOut.com